The Giver of Good Things


 “If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!”  (Matthew 7:11 NKJV)
So then what should we ask God for?  What should we take to Him in prayer?  What if you took everything to Him? What if you will place every decision in His hands, giving it all to Him?
Imagine if you honestly talk to Him about where to spend your money, your time, and your energy.  If someone asks you for help, take it to the Lord before you say yes or no.  If you want to buy a new pair of shoes – take it to the Lord first. 
I know how hard this is.  Often when we are tempted to spend our money on something that isn’t necessary but a want, we feel like hurrying up and spending it before we get a bad feeling or second thoughts.  Our conscience is like a yellow traffic light.  Some of us want to run it before it turns red, but what God really wants us to do is slow down and come to a stop.  He wants us to wait for it to turn green first.
If God is the giver of good things, then He wants you to have the desires of your heart.  But sometimes that means you need to budget for it first.  Or if you have 50 pairs of shoes in your closet, He may be telling you that you need to donate a few pairs to Good Will before buying a new pair.  God doesn’t want to stop your fun.  He just wants you to do what’s best in the long run, and not just go for the momentary pleasure that you’ll regret later.
This is how it is with overeating.  When I want to eat a second helping, I feel the need to hurry up and eat it now.  I want to run the red light before my conscience tells me to stop.  I crave the momentary pleasure before I remember how I’m going to regret it later.  It’s the slowing down that’s so difficult because I desire that momentary pleasure so badly.
I am like Esau who sold his birthright. I am like Saul when he didn’t wait for Samuel to come make the sacrifices.  Instead of holding out for what is best, I want to take what I can get right now. 
If I trust that God is truly good to me, why don’t I listen to His gentle nudging?  Why do I need a swift kick in the head to get my attention?
Lord, today I pray that I will trust you more.  That I will slow down and come to the realization that you know best and I do not.   Help me, Oh Lord, to remember that these little “morsels” are nothing but spoiling my appetite for the banquet that you have planned for me.  That these pennies are nothing compared to the fat bank account you want to give me.  Do not let me sell my birthright for a morsel of food!
My birthright, my victory, and my testimony are in jeopardy because I am not submitting my entire life to you.  I hold back too much.  I want to love you and serve you recklessly.   I want people to tell me that I’m going overboard.  I want people to think that I should rein it in.  I want to be considered a Jesus Freak by Jesus.  Oh Lord, how I want to be 100% for you.  Please help me to submit all that I have and hold nothing back.  In Jesus Name, I pray, Amen.

No comments :

Post a Comment