Unconditional Love

  Matthew 7: 7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

When I was a child, I always got good grades.  A natural self-starter, my parents never did anything to motivate me, because getting straight “A’s” was my personal goal.  But my brother, on the other hand, needed a lot of motivation.  One of the things that they did to motivate him was to offer a reward for good grades.  A “C” would get him $5, a “B” would earn him $10, but an “A” would garner him $20.

But it seemed that no matter what they offered him, he just couldn’t do it on his own.  So although he rarely earned the rewards that were willing to give, he remained their son.  Even though they couldn’t give him the blessings of the money they wanted to give him, if he asked for help in anything that he needed, he would receive it just as readily as I did.

 Matthew7: 9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

My parents took care of my brother’s needs.  They even took care of his wants.  They loved him because he was their son, and his behavior and ability to do what they wanted had nothing to do with their love.

God is greater and loves us in an unconditional way in which may parents were not even capable.  If you’ve been having trouble, like I have, asking for what you need because you haven’t “behaved” perfectly – ask anyway!  God’s love is not conditional upon your behavior!

No comments :

Post a Comment