Lesson from Mimosa

Then Jesus asked, “What is the kingdom of God like? What shall I compare it to? It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his garden. It grew and became a tree, and the birds perched in its branches.” Luke 13:18-19

As I walked my path today, I was really struck by all the Mimosa trees.  I see them every time, but apparently God wanted me to learn a lesson from them today.  Mimosa trees were originally from China.  They have fern-like leaves and branches, and produce fragrant pink flowers in the spring.  Because it’s fall, they have multiple brown seedpods where those flowers were earlier in the year.

What struck me about them today is that they are strong, fast growing and hardy trees.  They are how I would like my walk in Christ to be.  Last year, the church had tried to cut them back, even kill them.  But even though a trunk was all that remained of many of them, they flourish still.  I could even see the scars of where branches were removed on the trunk, but looking at the tree as a whole, I’d never guess it was injured.  Also, the fact that they reproduce so rapidly along the edge of the woods is astounding!

Adversity and injury can be a killer to spiritual growth.  When they come we have two options, to lean on God and grow out of it.  Or we can reject Him and stop growing.  “Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” Right?

Oh that I could be like the Mimosa, and flourish in spite of adversity.  I would like to grow quickly and show the world the beauty that God is making of me, and share Him with others so that the seeds that God gives me will spread and reproduce!

No comments :

Post a Comment