The Color of Blood

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18

My walks are tactile experiences.  I listen, I look around, and I am drawn to touch almost everything.  The fall colors are starting to bloom, and God prompted me today to pluck a waxy red leaf and contemplate it on my walk.

The leaf was blood read, with a few black spots on it.  It was imperfect, yet beautiful.

It made me consider the blood of Jesus, and how His blood washes away the black spots on our souls, making us shiny, beautiful and new.  This drew me to the words of a song I've been listening to lately where it says, "From His wounds we drink salvation."

Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:54

Blood is a disgusting thing.  It smells awful and stains things terribly. There are people who faint at the sight of it.  But over all it is an offensive thing.  The very idea that we "drink" His blood is offensive and sounds cannibalistic.  But Jesus said that we are to do it if we are accepting His salvation. 

It's easy to imagine how many people find this point to be a stumbling block.  How accepting something so "vile" in their opinion could be unheard of for them.  It is amazing how Satan perverts what God has ordained in the world's eyes.  The idea of vampires and other blood-sucking monsters searching for eternal life comes to mind. 

But God has made laws from the beginning of time that are ancient and unchanged that Blood is the necessity of redemption.  Oh that we will not find offensive or perverted the laws of God that bring our salvation.

The LORD of hosts, Him you shall hallow;
      Let Him be your fear,
      And let Him be your dread.
      He will be as a sanctuary,
      But a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense
      To both the houses of Israel,
      As a trap and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
      And many among them shall stumble;
      They shall fall and be broken,
      Be snared and taken.”  Isaiah 8:13-15

No comments :

Post a Comment