Sunday Devotional - Becoming Farsighted

(c) Samc3352 Dreamstime.com
Watch out for the Esau syndrome: trading away God’s lifelong gift in order to satisfy a short-term appetite. (Hebrews 12:16 MSG)

As Christians, we need to become farsighted. Dictionary.com describes this trait as: seeing objects at a distance more clearly than those near at hand.

Personally, I find this difficult. Even when I know there is something better in my future, at times it's difficult not to satisfy my own needs now. Like snacking. Dinner is so much better, but if we fall prey to hunger at 4 in the afternoon, and dinner seems hours and hours away, we might be tempted to eat a few chips...or maybe even a whole bag. Then when dinner finally arrives - we're no longer hungry for it.

So maybe it's time for me to wake up and dismiss those things that are near at hand -- for the better things that seem far-off.  Perhaps they are closer than I think.

1 comment :

  1. Good word, Pauline! Thanks. That lesson works for everything, doesn't it? Have a great week!

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete