The Broken Battle Plan - #Sunday Devotional for #tWorship


Stay alert; be in prayer so you don't wander into temptation without even knowing you're in danger. There's a part of you that's eager, ready for anything in God. But there's another part that's as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire. (Matthew 26:40-41)

Every day dawns as a fresh start. I feel it every morning. I spend time in prayer and diligent study of the Bible and map out how great my day is going to be. I'm eager, ready for anything in God. Ready to serve Him and battle my temptations. I'm like a warrior, ready for my fight.

Then the day presses on. I get tangled up in the worries and cares of this world. It's just my daily routine, but it can be so very harrowing. I grow fatigued. I'm like a warrior who needs to march 20 miles to the battlefield.

Now I'm tired. But I'm tough, right? Because I'm a warrior. So even though my General, my God is calling His troops into a huddle, calling me to a moment of prayer and the nourishment of His word, He's way over there, and there's this great spot right here where I can sit and take a break for a minute. I'm not that hungry, am I? I'd rather have this moment of peace than eat right now.

Then the battle begins. The enemy flanks me and finds that I'm the weak spot. He learns that I'm not ready for him, and doubles his attack. But I'm a warrior, too proud to call out for help. I can handle this.

Then I lose. Every time.

When will I learn that the old lazy dog in me is going to make me lose the battle with temptation every day? I know how to fix my problem, and I know what I'm missing. So today, will I change?

No comments :

Post a Comment