Live Fearless - #Bible Devotional Guest #Blog by Suzanne Williams

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Ti 1:7)

This is a very familiar verse to most people. I know I heard it quoted many times growing up. However, it wasn’t until I became completely crippled by fear and was unable to leave home that I had even a faint glimpse of its meaning. And it’s a powerful verse because everything you need to overcome fear in your life is given there.

First, God did NOT make you afraid. Now, I’m not talking about fear, or reverence, for God. I’m talking about terror. I was afraid to leave home and get sick in public. Others are afraid of water, doctors, traveling, etc. There are many forms of fear. In order to be free you must settle in your heart that God did NOT give them to you.

There is no such thing as healthy fear. If fear was healthy, then I’d be a giant now because I’ve had my share. No, fear took over my decisions. I made choices based on it, and I stopped doing things because of it. It then leaked into my personal life, affecting my family and friends. Fear is satanic, and this verse says so.

But God didn’t stop there. He also provided the three things needed to overcome fear. When you tap into the Holy Spirit power of God, you won’t be afraid because fear cannot live in God’s presence. At my lowest times, I entered into worship. I turned the television off, closed the computer, and concentrated on how marvelous God is.

I also began praying earnestly. The Scripture says, “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” (Jas 5:16) There is power and strength in prayer. 

Yet prayer and worship are most effective when you know God loves you. “There is no fear in love” (Jn 4:18) because God’s love is so grand and high and wide; it’s so all-encompassing and all inclusive that nothing we have ever done or ever will do can overpower it. Instead, God meets us where wevare and lifts us up above all the thousands fallen at our side. (Ps 91:7)

And he heals our mind. Having a sound mind comes as we renew our thoughts. (Rm 12:2) This is definitely the hardest step in overcoming fear because it requires deliberate action. We think God’s thoughts instead of fear. (Php 4:8) It also means we change our confession. We no longer say whatever pops into our head, but speak the truth of God’s Word.

I am a free woman today no longer captive to fear, and it was a long, slow road to get here. But I walked it hand-in-hand with my loving heavenly Father knowing He was there for me every single step of the way. And I live fearless. Not because I no longer struggle with fear, but because fear no longer has a hold on me for I know God is bigger. He’s greater. He’s higher. He’s more than enough.

***
 
Suzanne Williams is the author of Fearless -
Which will be on sale for half price on October 31!
 





2 comments :

  1. Great testimony, Suzanne. I, too, know what it's like to live in fear--sometimes still face it. But God is faithful and always brings me out into the light.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Daphne. God is faithful. I learned that the hard way, but I will never forget it. Thanks for reading and commenting. God bless!

      Delete