A Little Snippet


Today I added 2005 words to my Steampunk novella, Raven Grace - The Reaper. Or the title will be something like that when it's finished. She's a Reaper - a bodyguard, assassin, and general bada**. But she's ready to give it all up for the love of her life. 
Today I added a few flashbacks and made my character face her past and her motivations. Time is running out for her; she's injured and bleeds to death on a bed of leaves in the forest. This is a flashback she's having while she waits for help:
“I don’t see why you have to go.” Greg’s green eyes pleaded with her, his eyebrows furrowed.
Raven couldn’t help but smile at his bare wrists and ankles. He’d grown too fast over the summer, and hadn’t gotten to New Haven for new clothes. She had to look up into his face now, and watched his Adam’s apple bob up and down as he swallowed his sadness. She tried to smile as she said, “I’ll be back as much as often as I can, but this is something I have to do.”
“School is starting next week. Doesn’t your dad want you to go?”
“This is more important. It would be our last year of school, anyway. You need to concentrate on your studies so you can go to University. I’ve always been a distraction for you.” Her voice softened and her throat grew tight. “Your mom says so.”
“I don’t care.” Greg wrapped his long arms around her and put his forehead on hers.
She closed her eyes and said, “I do.”
Their foreheads rubbed together as he shook his head. His voice cracked. “You always come back from these trips injured.”
She half-laughed at the truth of it. Every time they returned from a mission, she had a new wound. “Someday I’ll stop being a Reaper and marry you.”
“Someday can’t come soon enough.”

No comments :

Post a Comment